Tuesday, 2 June 2015

Entering Zambia

My move to Zambia started off in a very interesting way. A ‘two hour flight’ sounds easy enough, but I guess I can’t do a ‘two hour flight’ the same way a typical flyer would. It started off by almost missing my flight. After sprinting through Jo-berg airport, I found that my gate was closed but it didn’t stop me. I ran through that door without scanning my boarding pass. I was desperate to catch the bus to my plane, regardless of whether the doors were closed or not. In hindsight, I’m surprised they didn’t chase me and kick me out of the airport. Anyway, I quickly found my seat and settled in, quickly trying to catch my breath. Thankful for a window seat, I looked out the window only to see that my luggage was being offloaded. Terrified, I ran to the front of the plane and tried to explain my situation. I have no idea what I said – I did a horrible job getting the words out, so I just ran off the plane to rescue my suitcases. I don’t really recommend that course of action. Unless you want flight attendants to chase you. After a few minutes of shouting back and forth over the sound of the plane engine starting up, I managed to put my belongings back on the plane.

And it wasn’t until I had delayed the plane and settled back into my seat that I realized there was a team from Florida on the same flight and I’d be living with them for the next week and a half. Lovely.

Adventures in Africa, right?

I did manage to settle in quite nicely at Kachele. For now, I have a beautiful room to myself in the main house and am getting to know more of what I’ll be doing for the remainder of the year. It will take a bit of time before I find my feet in my roles of Communications Team and Project Support, but I’m so thankful for the people here who are so supportive and helpful! Zambia is quickly becoming a very special place in my heart.

Life is about loving and learning. I feel like that’s what living in community is all about too. There are so many opportunities to love – the country, the Care Workers, the Service Centre teams, the people I live with, and our amazing God. There are equally as many opportunities to learn – Zambian culture and language, Care Workers’ stories, how other Service Centres operate, the stories of the community I live in, and deepen my relationship with God.

Having the opportunity to live and serve God in Africa is still mind boggling for me. Out of all the people that God could have chosen to do this work, He has chosen me. And it is definitely not because of anything I’ve done, but only because of what Christ has done for me. I’ve learned the truth and comfort of Proverbs 16:9 – “The heart of man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps.” How beautiful is that?

-heather

1 comment:

  1. We didn't even notice! But I remember you being at the airport with us :) Love, Cat from the Florida team ♡

    ReplyDelete