Tuesday, 30 June 2015

A Few of my Thoughts

I like stories. Even though they might not describe what I do on a daily basis, I hope they give a glimpse of the heart of God and why I am here. And that is more important to me.

A Story: Mama Joy

I asked a simple question: “What made you want to become a Care Worker?”

She replied in her broken English: “God called me to do this work. I see so many children who need love and I can give them that motherly love and make them feel a part of a family. I also get to show them God’s love. I have so much joy in my life because I get to be a Care Worker.”

She doesn’t have to be a Care Worker – she chose to be because she followed God’s calling for her life.

She is a true woman of God. A courageous, selfless woman who has given up her days caring for the orphaned and vulnerable children in her own community and serving God for the past five years. Tirelessly. And continuously. Even though she has several of her own children, and is vulnerable herself.

She is amazing. She took me on a Holy Home Visit to meet a beautiful girl with a mental disability. Seeing the love she has for this girl was like seeing a mom with her child – she had that same look of love and compassion in her eyes as a mother has for her child. Mama Joy gave me hope because she gives this child hope every day. She sees potential in her even though not many others in her community do. She prays for this girl with sincerity and without holding back, treating her in the same way as every other child she cares for.

Mama Joy taught me so much during the few hours I spent with her – she is so filled with wisdom and love – I hope I get to see her again soon.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Let me introduce you to Zambia with a few pictures.

For one, it is beautiful. I use the word beautiful often when speaking of Africa, but just look at this mini lake and you'll understand. A few of us international volunteers and friends from our Sunday fellowship group spent a Saturday swimming and relaxing at this wonderful little creation an hour off the main road. It was simply wonderful.


The children of Zambia. So many quickly have wiggled their way into my heart. I suppose there is no difficulty there, though. Look how impressive this line-up is! 100 kiddos perfectly lined up, patiently waiting for their meal at the Care Point. I was impressed - and any teacher would be as well.


Let me introduce the Kabwe Service Centre - a wonderful team of people working together in an office in Kabwe (three hours from where I live at Kachele) to support six communities in their region. A few weeks ago, I had the amazing privilege of staying with Trina (the coordinator) and her family for a few days. I spent time getting to know each member on the team, as well as visiting several communities they work in, and getting to know how the Service Centre operates. Reason being, I am beginning to work alongside this team, supporting them with various community projects and building capacity with them.


And we're back to the beauty of Zambia. Looking through all my pictures, I realized most of the ones I take here are of sunsets, trees, and water - but it's because of the simplicity of life that I notice and appreciate the most natural beauty. All of the international people at Kachele attend Ndola Christian Fellowship (NCF) on Sundays, and they hosted a weekend camp an hour away from where we live. This was a sunset over the lake in the backyard of our thatched cabin.


...And a sunrise the next morning. I woke up at 5:15am - Mom and Dad, you would've been impressed with me. But I'm seriously turning into a morning person. I suppose Africa will do that to you. It's totally worth it to see an African sunrise.


Our Sunday morning service was at the lakeside.


I'm terrible at taking group photos - so I'm thankful for people like Michelle who think of taking them. I can introduce some of my family now! From the left: Conrad and his wife Babette - they are our neighbours and take such good care of us! They also attend NCF, and we stayed with them in a cabin at church camp. Next in line is Ashley from Canada, Mel from Australia, myself, Lisa and Brian from Canada, Michelle from the States, and Daniel from Australia. Besides Conrad and Babette, and including Charlotte who hadn't yet arrived at this point, this is the team of international Hands people staying in Zambia.


Every Thursday, our Kachele community has a Bring and Share - better known in Canada as a potluck. Last week we had a Bring and Braai (or barbeque) and a bonfire which was wonderful. Just another reason why I love community life!


Meet my dear Kay. If you're ever in need of a hug, come to Zambia and meet Kay. She gives the best hugs - I get one every day from her, and an extra big one on days when I miss Mom's hugs. So I guess I should say I get an extra big hug every day :)


And lastly, meet some more of my sisters - Belita, Tana, Kay, and Charlotte. I am so privileged to have each of these ladies as my sisters!


So this is a completely dysfunctional, unorganised, scatter-brained kind of post - but I hope I was able to show you a bit of my life in Zambia. I still pinch myself often - God decided to hand-pick me, when He could have chosen anyone else. And I get to live in Africa! We serve an amazing God!

-heather

No comments:

Post a Comment