It's really difficult to pick only a few pictures that represent my time spent in Malawi, so I gave up and chose lots :) It's also hard to put into words how my time was - it was incredible, interesting, special, challenging - and it was a beautiful learning opportunity where we both grew so much personally and captured the vision of Hands in the heart of Africa. It was a month that I wouldn't trade for anything in the world. I wouldn't want to trade the hard days for easy ones, and I wouldn't want to trade the challenges for a simple ride.
As I previously mentioned in another post, Charlotte and I spent a month in a Service Center in Dedza, Malawi learning more about Hands at Work, and spending time with the team and communities there.
Don't mind the random order of these photos :)
 |
| After spending the night in Jo-berg with the lovely ladies Grace and Jade, we saw each other off as we went our separate ways to Zimbabwe and Malawi. |
 |
| Yes - this motorcycle was parked in our house, in the dining room actually, and yes - we also did use this as transportation. It was by far the nicest and most comfortable one we rode. And we rode many. |
 |
| Marj and George - a wonderful Canadian couple - showed us around town. This is the main rode in the town. |
 |
| One of the many rows of market stalls. We spent a lot of time at the market - it's a 45 minute walk from where we stayed, and we ventured into town every other day or so. |
 |
| We had a little too much fun with these beautiful chitenges - there were tons of these little stalls in the market. |
 |
| Sporting our first chitenges we bought. They are awesome! |
 |
| Dedza Pottery - the perfect Saturday activity. Well, the only one really :) |
 |
| This boy made a guitar and played it for us during the church service on Sunday morning. |
 |
| The borehole at Tima CBO in Mngwere. |
 |
| Tima CBO - the mother CBO of Malawi. |
 |
| This beautiful darling is one of Malawi's biggest success stories :) |
 |
| Maonde CBO |
 |
| Walking the community on Holy Home Visits. |
 |
| There were banana trees in our backyard! Being Canadian, I clearly thought this was pretty cool. |
 |
| Dedza Service Center - my home in Malawi |
 |
| The. Best. Chips. In. The. World. Roadside Irish Potatoes cooked in oil and sooo yummy! Put some 'salad' (cabbage and tomatoes) with them - the perfect dinner. |
 |
| Just a taste of how beautiful Malawi is. |
 |
| Setting up a mosquito net with George during a community stay - always an adventure :) |
 |
| A local church that allows a feeding point to be run there. |
 |
| The view from the feeding point - overlooking the entire community of Mngwere. |
 |
| Isn't she adorable :) |
 |
| Fresh green oranges - so good! |
 |
| Holy Home Visits in Mngwere with some Careworkers. |
 |
| Our hosts in Mngwere. |
 |
| Where else does your laundry hang out with banana trees? |
 |
| Charlotte and I were able to head out to Lake Malawi for a weekend. It felt like we were at the ocean - it was beautiful! |
 |
| ...unless you want to be eaten by hippos. |
 |
| We found a bike in the ceiling of a lovely home we stayed in. Not sure how it ended up there. |
 |
| This is the home of one of our community stays. |
 |
| Holy Home Visits in Mcheneke. |
 |
| These beautiful Careworkers put on a little concert for us - which turned into a dance party :) |
 |
| Our hosts in one of the communities. |
 |
| Malawian advertising at it's finest. It is really good coffee though, so I'm going with it. |
 |
| The Dedza Service Center team - I can't even begin to describe how amazing these people are! |
 |
| On the day we left, we were able to meet up with the Molenaar's in Lilongwe. Charlotte and I spent some time at the community school for women, which was so encouraging to see. |
 |
| I wanted to take this beautiful little girlie home with me. She is beyond precious. |
 |
| Our time in Malawi ended here and it couldn't have ended better. |
Orientation is over, placements are over, and I've been in Africa for 3 months. I have a rough idea of what I'll be doing for the rest of the year, but next week I have a meeting to confirm that and find out my role. I'm sort of in limbo until then!
-heather
No comments:
Post a Comment