Hands at Work is about stories. Stories of orphans, gogos, aunties. Stories of orphans who live with their uncle and are abused and raped by neighbours. Stories of gogos who care for countless children because the mothers ran off and the fathers are nowhere to be found. Stories of aunts who become mothers to children whose own mothers are dying or have died of AIDS.
The beautiful part in all of these stories is that it's all one big story - God's story - and he allows and enables - even commands - us to be a part of it.
In the past two weeks...
It's been beautiful - I had the opportunity to meet awesome people, see some more of God's incredible creation, play with gorgeous little children, talk with special care workers, and wake up each morning and be amazed by the warm summer weather (which has taken some time to get used to - but definitely not complaining!!) Also, South Africa has some of the most beautiful places on earth!
It's been tough - learning how to be more open about my feelings and trusting people with them is harder than I thought, yet more precious than I could've imagined. Sharing such things allows us as an intake group to bond more and more each day. I naturally want to be a strong person, be there for others and help them, so it's a struggle for me to be vulnerable and ask for prayer and need to be comforted. I know I'm in the "Yay I'm actually here, this is crazy!" phase, so I will face tough times where I'll want to give up, where I'll wonder why I'm here, and when I'll miss my family in Canada, but it's in these tough times where God is closer than ever, and his grace is sufficient.
It's been joyous - I had the lovely opportunity of being one of the first ones to arrive at the Hub, which allowed me to meet each new member of my intake as they came in throughout the next week. Playing games and laughing with the kids at the care points brings an indescribable joy. Living in a community where you're surrounded by 'family' has filled my heart with a special happiness and I'm so blessed to be a part of this family. Through cooking, laughing, praying, trusting each other, our intake really is my family - it's a joy that God has brought us together for this time in our lives, and there's a reason for that.
It's been heart breaking - hearing stories about 'kids in Africa' brings on a whole new heartbreak when you actually meet these kids and interact with them. Seeing a little girl off in the corner by herself looking dejected, and you know it's because she's being severely abused at home. Visiting a mother in her home, listening to her tell you about her daughter that she's been searching for for 13 years to no avail. A 14 year old girl struggling to deal with her mother's death and not knowing how to cope with it. Knowing that the children we visit at the care points come there to be a child - because their home situation is a level of pain and sorrow that we can't even fathom. They laugh with other children - but their hearts are filled with hurt. They run and play - yet they are constantly aware that they are sick, infected with HIV. They run up to me, hug me, hold my hand - but for the reason that they can't remember the last time they were hugged or felt loved. A happy, spirited boy running down a dirt path holding my hand, later stepping on a thorn and having it break off in his foot - such a simple fix, but in a community where nothing is sterile, and infection is likely, it could be a tragedy.
It's been filled with opportunity - opportunities to greet care workers, hug children, visit homes, get to know new people, sit on the veranda and look at the spectacular view while drinking my morning coffee, ask someone how they are doing and mean it, making someone a cup of tea, debriefing at the end of a day when we're overwhelmed, visit some incredible places on the weekend. Also, who knew there were so many dialects and accents in English?! That's what happens when your intake is from the States, England, Australia, Germany, and Canada, and you all meet in South Africa.
I'm still pinching myself trying to believe that I'm actually here - in Africa! After all these years of me dreaming about Africa, I'm really here!
My computer is down, but hopefully that can get up and working so I can post some pictures ;)
-heather
Love you kid! Keep living the dream!
ReplyDeleteThanks for writing, Heather! It sounds amazing....so many fantastic opportunities. We are praying for you.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing. I love the way you write and I hope you are able to keep us posted throughout the year. I will keep you in my prayers.
ReplyDeleteGertrude - because you won't know who Mom D is, but now you do. ;)
Thanks 'Mom D'!! I'm hoping to post updates often :)
DeleteOur dear Heather. Love your blog. We had so many questions, but you already answered some. I had tears in my eyes when I was reading. Keep courage and God bless you. He will never leave you or forsake you.
ReplyDeleteAs Joe would say, welterisket. Love you lots, Opa&Oma T.