Since I've been in South Africa for 5.5 weeks now, I figured it may be time for a picture update :) Orientation is officially over. To say the very least, it's been a wonderful time of growth, friendship, and learning. I've had many firsts, and some incredible experiences. One of the best things - I don't have to wear shoes! I can go to the grocery store in bare feet. It's pretty awesome. But the heat was pretty difficult to adjust to - there was a 60 degree temperature change, and I don't do well with heat - but I did bring it on myself. Good thing for bare feet.
The first "first" was flying across the world by myself. I realized that travelling by yourself and sleeping in an airplane for two nights can be pretty lonely, so making friends with people along the way is a better alternative. Also having your favourite pair of shoes and a backpack makes you feel an experienced traveller, even though this is the first time I've been overseas. I kinda like that feeling.
After spending a few days in busy airports on three different continents and riding in several modes of transportation, feeling a tangible kind of peace upon arrival at Hands was the most welcoming thing I've ever experienced. That perfect kind of peace is unbeatable. Bonus: this is where I live!
Like really, I've never been somewhere more beautiful.
And, I get to drink my morning coffee overlooking this mountain.
And eat my breakfast here. I'm still pinching myself.
So much better than this... :)
~~~
Most of our days during orientation were filled with sessions on getting to know Hands at Work at a deeper level and going out into communities around the country, but on the weekends we were able to do the "touristy" kind of things like going into the mountains, visiting little markets, and sightseeing. Everywhere we drove was absolutely stunning.
The Pinnacle - breathtaking.
Meet some of my new family:
Lisbon Falls - so pretty. Can I, as a Canadian, say it puts Niagara Falls to shame?
I think God intentionally placed most beautiful creations in the most broken countries.
It's back to reality though, when we dig trenches. But I guess trenches need to be dug and filled if we want electricity and running water at the Hub. Fair enough. And it was only for one day.
Long drives can be awesome. There are a lot of them, as communities are widespread. The advantage - we catch up on sleep. It is exhausting being in the hot sun in a community all day. I've never appreciated long drives so much. And I'm thankful I don't need to drive anywhere.
How cute is this little guy?! He's our adorably little Australian brother, Riley, who proudly declares that he weighs 20 kilos. He also declares that he's never tired when we drive anywhere.
A few Sundays ago, I attended church in a tent beside this lovely river. Definitely don't get that back in Canada in the middle of March.
The following week, Grace (on the left) and I had the amazing opportunity to stay with a family in a community that Hands serves in. Here are a few pictures of the family members. My previous blog post was written about them.
Another first: Grace and I preached a sermon on our Sunday in community stay with this family. We didn't realize that what we had said to the congregation was the sermon until later when the actual pastor complimented us on our message... Hmm. Cultural differences - embrace them for all they're worth. :)
Best group selfie.
I certainly left a part of my heart with this family. They are the most generous, hospitable people I've ever met. I was so privileged to spend time with them.
Ahhhhh! She makes me smile. Isn't she the most darling little thing?!
This is one of the Care Points where some of the most vulnerable children come each day to receive a nutritious meal and spend time being kids. Here they are singing songs, and reading and praying before their meal.
~~~
Another touristy thing that every person must do during their time in South Africa is visit Kruger National Park. Where in Canada, or anywhere for that matter, are you going to have rhinos cross the road right in front of you?
Oh the lovely warthogs. They're so ugly that they're adorable. Besides elephants, they were my favourite.
It's hard to see here, but there were hippos in the river :)
Another dream of mine came true - seeing not just one, but TONS of elephants in their natural habitat. There's something about these guys that is so amazing. My favourite animal by a long shot.
We counted ten different kinds of animals at this watering hole alone!
It was a good day.
~~~
One joy... or not so much... of living in Africa is spotting the strangest looking bugs. So far, I've stepped on two frogs and countless bugs about this size have decided to fly into me. It's lovely... I'm thankful for a fly swatter/zapper in my room.
But to make up for bugs and frogs, I get to see the most beautiful skies here. Places like South Africa make you appreciate the natural beauty of God's creation.
~~~
Oh my. The African food here - absolutely incredible.
1) Chicken dust - the BEST form of chicken. It's chicken that is grilled on the side of the road, with the most incredible spices and peri-peri sauce. Mouth-watering.
2) Chakalaka - cabbage, carrots, onions, and other vegetables shredded into the most delicious concoction eaten with pap. Delicious.
3) Pap - maize meal. Its texture is like stiff mashed potatoes, but you roll it and use it as a scoop to eat chakalaka with your hands. Absolutely yummy.
4) Slapchips - basically soggy fries with lots of grease and peri-peri, put between of slice of bread. Sounds terrible but my standard of fries have increased dramatically.
5) Ginger beer - not South African at all, but worth mention since I've never seen it back home. It's so much better than ginger ale... It really doesn't compare. You can't go to Pick-n-Pay (the very original name of the grocery store) without grabbing a ginger beer to go. Also as a sidenote, cream soda is green.
~~~
On a complete other note, I love getting Snapchats like this one :) It really does make me feel connected to home. These sisters are awesome.
This Dad is pretty awesome, too. I think he might have been a little too excited to see me. Or is that wishful thinking? Love you Dad :)
I am so in awe that God called me to be here, and that I can be a part of such a wonderful family. I am beyond privileged and blessed.
This is home.
And next week, this lovely lady, Charlotte, and I are headed off to Malawi for four weeks to be a part of the Hands team there. We are so excited to be given this incredible opportunity and privilege!
:) - heather
No comments:
Post a Comment