Saturday, 16 April 2016

Drought Crisis in Africa

My heart is heavy. I've been writing stories of the most vulnerable children in Africa the past few weeks - some stories of kids I know, others of ones I know of. I love writing them - being given the privilege of communicating these stories with people across the world. But it's difficult - and I find this reporting quarter the most difficult so far. Almost every story I've written or edited, the overpowering drought has put so many kids and families in an even greater downward spiral of poverty. Crops failed, rivers and streams have dried up, and families have nothing to fall back on. The earliest crops can be harvested in next May - in over a year from now. I really do not have the words to describe how huge this drought and food crisis is, but I encourage you to read and educate yourself about it.

Here is a link to the Drought Relief page on Hands at Work's website. Please read through the stories, this reflection, and watch the videos to learn more about the severity of what is happening in communities across Southern Africa. There also are tons of news articles from New York Times, BBC, Globe and Mail, and others who have been picking up on this crisis, and are very informative and educational.


I suppose this is a bleak post to write as I'm ending my time in Africa. I usually have used my blog to post my own personal reflections - but I have no words right now. I want nothing more than to see the Church come together to bring relief into the situations so many families are facing.

I'll see all you Canadians in just a few weeks :)

-heather

No comments:

Post a Comment