For me, January is a month where I always reflect on the previous year and wonder how the coming year will look. It's no different this year. The past few days I've been relaxing, not doing much really, and I had time to reflect on 2015. January 2015 I was still working, had no idea what I was getting myself into by coming to Africa, and hadn't even thought about packing up my life into two suitcases! When February rolled around, I packed up and traveled overseas to a new continent where I'd be living with no one I knew for the rest of the year.
2015 didn't look at all as I had imagined. I am a different person because of the things I saw, the people I've met, and the way God has worked in me.
I experienced sadness and hopelessness in a way I never imagined possible.
I felt the power of faith and hope in a new and alive way.
I learned unexplainable joy upon leaning on Christ for my daily strength.
I met men and women who have made me change things in my life simply by the way they walk out their faith and deal with immense challenges.
I am continually learning in deeper ways the act of surrender for the plans in my life.
I now know the importance of serving the most vulnerable wherever you are in the world.
If I hadn't obeyed God's still, soft voice telling me to follow Him wherever He led me, I would have missed out on a wealth of knowledge, a multitude of blessings, and a perspective on the world of injustice. God led me to places where He broke my heart, where He healed me, where He challenged me, and above all, showed me the power of His love. I would not have changed a bit of the past year - I could not have imagined myself to be where I am a year ago.
And that's why I'm so excited for 2016. Because I know when I take the time to hear God's voice, He will tell me what's next and what He wants to teach me. And all I have to do - or rather, what I get to do - is follow His lead and praise Him.
Oh news travels faster than light - but I should mention my year started off with a proposal from my man, Daniel - who I now get to call my fiancé (it sounds so grown up!)
I know my year will be busy and a bit crazy - the first four months I'll be living in Africa, the second four months in Canada, and the last four in Australia - and I'll be in a minimum of five countries across the world. I will serve with my Hands family in Africa, say goodbye to them in April, see my family in Canada, say goodbye to them in August, meet an entirely new family in Australia, get married a week after stepping foot on the continent, and create a new home there. I'm really excited because I know God is going to teach me a heap more in 2016.
To go through this year, I'll need to surrender each day to Christ. I'll need to trust Him in deeper ways than ever before. I'll have to rely on God for strength when I'm overwhelmed. And I'll get to praise Him through each day no matter what challenges come my way. In each season I'm in this year, my desire is to glorify God and obey His voice each step of the way.
No comments:
Post a Comment