This past week has been one of those weeks where I am forced to take a step back and see how God perfectly orchestrates His world, and the plan for each of our lives. Hands at Work held a gathering here at Kachele in Zambia with both African and international Hands leaders, about 65 in total. The week was a time of reflecting on the past year and looking forward to next year. We were greatly challenged and deeply encouraged as communities, as teams, and as individuals. Throughout the week, I had some of the greatest opportunities of my life - I drank tea, ate meals, sat under trees, and shared a room with the most amazing African leaders. I was overwhelmed with realization that God raised each of these diamonds out of the dust of Africa, and brought each one on such a unique journey to reveal their calling to serve the most vulnerable children in Africa.
I met Toyin. A courageous Nigerian woman who spends her life fiercely defending and fighting for children in the most desperate situations in her home country. Children are alive because of her. I sat with her over lunch one day while she poured out her story and left me speechless. Nothing in the world will stop this woman from fighting and persevering - because she knows it's what God called her to do. I sat with her as she reflected on God's faithfulness. When she was finished all I could do was thank God for creating her.
I met Angel. Sweet, beautiful Angel who went against every cultural norm and gave up her government-paid teaching position to voluntarily serve the most vulnerable families in the Congo. She is not only the mother of many poor communities in the DRC, but a mother to five of her own children. She didn't know English a few years ago, and sitting with her the other day, I would have never known. She's a fighter, and she lives out her calling daily, despite countless mountains she must climb working in the DRC.
I met Florence. A fierce, determined single mother who has a passion to care for the people of Mozambique. She spent months this year sleeping in countless homes, visiting hundreds of children - all of whom she knows by name. She sits on top of piles of firewood and charcoal on the back of a straight truck to get from one community to another. Children wouldn't survive without her.
There are many more I could write about.
These three women go against every single cultural norm, have to fight for children every single day - yet do it with a deep conviction of knowing that God placed them and they will live out their callings with perseverance, knowing that their treasure lies in heaven, and they will keep placing one foot in front of the other until they get there.
God placed me in the middle of them this week. I don't know why, because I certainly don't deserve this privilege. I prayed for words to encourage each of them, but words simply didn't do justice.
They have challenged me and encouraged me in ways too great to put into words, and I will forever treasure the moments I spent with each of them.
-heather
good insight I love this piece of article sisr!
ReplyDelete